Contributed by Jessica Taaffe:
Interested in getting your foot in the door with the Gates Foundation? Here’s an opportunity to apply for a position in the Gates Fellow Program. See more information below:
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has recently established a Gates Fellows Program, the objectives of which are to:
- Create a cadre of top talent within strategic partners and the field that aligns with the foundation
- Access fresh talent and perspectives to advance our thinking and contribute in a substantive way to our work
- Develop fellows’ capabilities, skills, and understanding of the foundation.
We are seeking Fellows with exceptional qualifications across a variety of backgrounds, to join beginning in Fall 2013, to contribute to program teams in Global Health.
Fellows at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will work in close collaboration with foundation employees to support research, evaluation of strategic priorities, grant projects and initiatives. Fellows will have broad access to mentoring from world class leaders and opportunities to leverage the foundation’s network. Fellows will be a part of a two year cohort that will work on a range of responsibilities.
In partnership with foundation team members Fellows will:
Strategic portfolio management
- Plan, design, manage and execute activities in strategic planning, portfolio/grants management and external relationship management. Participate in strategy development, review and evaluation activities.
- Serve as a point of contact on portfolio-related issues for key internal and external stakeholders, including performing technical, scientific, and strategic analysis on portfolio investments.
- Collaborate with other program staff and foundation colleagues as appropriate to ensure that work is aligned, supported, and enhanced throughout the foundation.
- Partner with foundation staff to develop and manage funding partnerships with external stakeholders, including identifying funding opportunities, managing negotiations, developing MOUs, and shaping announcements.
- Identify and engage qualified subject thought leaders, technical experts, and consultants in priority areas for meetings, technical consult, review, and other program activities.
Knowledge management and learning dissemination:
- Write and produce informative briefings, reports, email updates, and other materials on key issues. Provide ongoing research and literature reviews in areas related to foundation strategic priorities, as well as capture and synthesize background and technical progress information from grants and other initiatives.
- Interact with foundation staff as well as partners and outside experts to develop information that contributes to shaping program priorities and strategies. In specific assigned areas, develop drafts and concepts that contribute to shaping program priorities and strategies.
- In partnership with program staff, coordinate and/or manage a wide range of monitoring and evaluation activities in support of strategic planning, grant management and external relationship management.
- In partnership with Business Teams, create and manage content for technical and strategic areas on our internal SharePoint site.
- Undertake special projects, as requested.
To be considered, applicants are required to have an advanced degree such as MD, PhD, PharmD (scientific disciplines highly encouraged), or MBA with backgrounds in management consulting, investment banking, private equity or venture capital, and 7-10 years of related professional experience.
Those with an advanced degree and field experience in global health and development are encouraged to apply.
In addition, heavy emphasis will be placed on:
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in global health, development, policy and advocacy, or communications
- Strong knowledge across relevant technical area/expertise, proven ability to learn new content quickly, identify connections and second-order implications as well as demonstrate competence and execute good judgment in a variety of areas.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, writing & verbal skills for communicating with a broad and diverse audience, including internal leadership and external high-level stakeholders, on a range of complex technical issues.
- Experience in a role requiring effective collaboration within a complex organization, as well as a proven ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team effort.
- Commitment to Foundation's core values of Rigor, Innovation, Collaboration and Optimism
- Demonstrated capacity and initiative to solve problems with energy and positive attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills as well as willingness to work in a flexible environment
- Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a cooperative and collegial fashion
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Scope of work will require residency or relocation to the Seattle, Washington area.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
For full information visit the original posting:http://careers.gatesfoundation.org/job/Seattle-Gates-Fellow-Job-WA-98101/2584907/?feedId=836&eresc=3-JP-1119